Saturday, August 8, 2009

Quick Greek Pitas

1 pound ground beef
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
4 green onions, chopped
1 can (2 1/2 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large tomato, diced
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
6 (6-inch) pita bread, warmed
1 cup crumbled feta cheese

Cook and stir ground stir until crumbly and no longer pink. Drain ground beef. Add spinach, green onions, olives, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes. stir in tomato.

Combine yogurt, mayonnaise and remaining oregano in a small bowl. Split open pita bread; line each with lettuce leaf. Stir cheese into beef mixture and divide among pita pockets. Serve with yogurt sauce.

*These were so yummy and have become a family favorite. I did a couple of things different from the recipe. I did add more seasoning to my ground beef and added a little yogurt & mayo mixture to the to the ground beef.
This is the cookbook I got the recipe from.


Deanna said...

Sounds and looks delicious!
Blessings to you,

Daphine said...

Looks delicious!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sisters Of Honor said...

I'm always looking for new dishes to try. Thanks for sharing.

Well Watered Woman said...

yummy! I think I'll try these this weekend.

MOMSWEB said...

This looks and sounds so delicious. I'll replace the ground beef with veggie crumbles and be in veggie heaven! Thanks for sharing; I'm hungry for one right now.