Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sombrero Pasta Salad

I love experimenting in the kitchen. I love collecting cookbooks. Especially, old ones that I find at yard sales. Recently, I found a cookbook at the library that I call a "treasure chest." In it contains menus that are delicious and easy on the budget.


Yesterday I made the Sombrero Salad. I packed some in my husband's lunch for work. He came home from work so excited. I asked him if everything was ok. He said yes. He went on to tell me how much he loved the salad. Of course, I stood there like a school girl blushing as he raved over the latest dish I made. I blush a lot around him because he always knows the right things to say.


Sombrero Pasta Salad

1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
1 pound of ground beef
3/4 cup water
1 envelope taco seasoning
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
1 bottle (16 ounces) Catalina or Western salad dressing

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add water and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. rinse pasta in cold water and drain; place in a large bowl. add beef mixture, cheese, green pepper, onion, tomato and olives; mix well. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

1 comment:

Alexia said...

omgosh! that looks delish!!

yum! what do you serve this with? I always have trouble making a 'complete meal'. :-)