Monday, December 19, 2011

Are You Too Busy For Timothy?

I've been thinking about all the women in the Bible who had a Godly influence on their children. I want to be one of those mothers who's influence on her children would be carried out for generations to come. I want my children to tell my grandchildren and great grandchildren stories about me. Most of all, I want the generations that follow me, follow the same faith I have in God.

The only way I know to make sure that it happens is by spending time with my children. 

Next year, we will have two more children leaving the nest. Our sons, Trae and Benjamin, will be joining the military. I keep having these episodes that I've named "mommy moments." It's when something strikes that sensitive string that reminds me that my sons are leaving home within 6 months apart.

Am I ready for them to leave?

The real question is are they ready?

The answer to both questions are yes and yes.....Well, kinda yes and no to the first one.

I was reading about Timothy this morning. That's when that string was struck and I started to have a "mommy moment." Mommy moments are when I cry and blubber words that need an interpreter. I laugh too during those moments because I'm so proud of my sons.

I Timothy 1:5 says, "When I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also."

Here's Timothy, a young man whom the Apostle Paul had great confidence in, who's faith was passed down through his grandmother and mother. Paul didn't get through the first chapter of the first book of Timothy without acknowledging the faith that was passed on to Timothy.

How did Lois and Eunice pass faith on to Timothy? I think it's spelled t-i-m-e, time. It takes time to impart faith into our children. This precious time that I have with my sons before they leave the nest is time that I will use wisely.

Mothers should never had to apologize to anyone when they say no to others so that their time can be spent on their Timothy. Your Timothy is more important than the women's meeting at church. Your Timothy is more important then the to-do list from your pastor. Your Timothy is more important than the job, your friends, your neighbors, etc.

Let us not be to busy for our Timothy. He may be the next person we read about in the history books. Your name will be there also, just like Lois and Eunice's were.


8 comments:

Kela said...

Ahhhh, Sandra! I think about those moments with my sons also.

You've taught me VERY WELL about Mommy moments. I didn't really have them until I met you. Thank you for helping me see that its necessary at times to outwardly express some things! ;)

The years are passing quickly and God has given us such an awesome opportunity to pour God's Word into them. Not only that, but our sons get to see first hand what kind of woman they do (or don't) want when they choose their wife. Our children get an up close and personal look at us that no one else does! That could either be an overwhelming burden or delight. It's our choice.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. It is helpful reminder to me especially. :)

Elisabeth@Lizzy's Nest said...

I think about this often. Our oldest son (third child) is 16 now. As I see him becoming a man, I realize that I only have a short time left to be able to pour into him "daily". I pray constantly that we are putting everything in him that he will need to be the man of God he is called to be.

Anonymous said...

It was neat to read your post about Timothy. I love reading about Timothy in the Bible, as I am a young adult being trained in the things of the Lord by my parents! Your posts are very encouraging!

Unknown said...

Soooo true! I cut back almost everything at the church after I had my son. I don't want to miss him growing up. My husband and son are my first ministry.

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Aww.So true though.

Mrs. White said...

Excellent advice!!

MOMSWEB said...

Blessed by this!